As a car owner, there are actually a couple of things you need to be knowledgeable, and one of them is how to change a flat tire. While this can be tricky, especially if you’re not one of those who are familiar with the various components and parts of a vehicle. Irrespective of who you are or where you reside, it is of immense importance that you learn how to fix certain aspects of your car, and one of those aspects are changing a tire. In this piece, we will take a look at how you do this accurately.
5 Tips to Change a Flat Tire
1. Find a good location – If you find yourself on the road and you need to change your tires, the first thing to do would be to look for a perfect location. You probably may be thinking about this and how it relates to changing a car tire. To change your tires, you will need to look for a good spot that will allow you conveniently move around your vehicle. Also, while looking for a good location, you need to take safety into consideration.
2. You need to have your hazard lights turned on – Once you have found yourself a good location to change your flat tires, the next thing to do would be to turn on your hazard lights. This light will tell other drivers that you are parked for a reason and will also prevent them from crashing your car.
3. You need to apply the parking brake – It is important that you park your vehicle before you decide to have your flat tire changed. Also, you need to also apply your wheel wedges as well. This will help keep your vehicle in one position. Your wheel wedge will prevent your vehicle from rolling.
4. Go through the manual – You need to go through the vehicle manual to get an idea of how it is done on your car. This does not mean that you begin to read the manual completely, you just have to go through it to get an idea of how it works. Once you are done with that, you need to look for your spare tire in your trunk. As a car owner, it is important that you have a spare tire each time you’re traveling. You may need them if one of your tires becomes flat.
5. Change the tire – You need to take up the wheel cover and loosen the nuts. Once that is done, you need to place the jack under the car. Position it properly under your vehicle and use the jack to lift your car up. Once your car is up, you remove the nuts, take off the flat tire, and add the new tire to your vehicle. With the new tire added, you have to screw back the nuts that were loosened, then use the jack this time to bring down your car.
Before you set off, ensure that the tire is tightened. You could kick on the tire for confirmation.
Or, if you have a membership to American Automobile Association (AAA), call them to have your car tire changed (or towed, depending on the situation).